Wednesday 5 July 2023

Be Prepared

 Another finish has opened the floodgates for a new project, I am going to start something new totally guilt free!

My red and cream 9 patch top is done and I am very happy with the result. this will join my scrappy 9 patch in a pile to be hand quilted.


speaking of hand quilting.... my Trees quilt has been basted and I have managed to quilt a few. I am using a perle 8 thread and big stitches. I have forgotten how much I enjoy hand quilting. When I first started quilt I hand quilted all my quilts- a matter of economics at the time. Over the years I have hand quilted quite a few larger quilts but now I will save it for smaller lap quilts as my hands don't quite enjoy it as much as I would like.


the finishes have meant that I can pull out some projects to prepare for sewing, thus the post title.

I thought it best not to neglect my Who's who in the zoo.......I just had to mark the pieces around the freezer paper and trim them down. Row four is ready to go.



I prepped the pieces for my new start.


A friend who is not a fan of applique has asked me to do the centre piece for a new project and I am more than happy to oblige.... so I made a start on the plastic templates for this loveliness. 


Some lovely fabrics to play with too!

As you can tell by the productiveness I am currently on school holidays.
Only a few more days to go sadly and then it will be back to the grind.
I'll definitely make the most of the time that remains.

Happy days

Marina

11 comments:

  1. Your red quilt is stunning. I can't hand quilt big projects anymore either. :( Look forward to watching your progress with Maggie Maguire. Everytime i see it i think i'd like to make it but so far resisting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your red and white is stunning Marina - that border works a treat. Looking forward to watching your Hometown grow and the applique centre of Maggies garden looks lovely . xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I just love your nine patches, but that border is truly perfect. With hexagons!!! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Red 9 Patch is a lovely finish and great job basting the Christmas trees 🎄.
    Great to have another row for Who’s at the Zoo ready and you have a lovely new project to start as well as doing the appliqué centre for your friend. Enjoy.
    Maria lifeontheblock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your finish is stunning... you have a way of getting colours just right. One day I will do hand quilting on a quilt... I love the look and feel. Love the background you have chosen for your new quilt and lovely to do the centre for a friend.... any escuse????
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love swags!!! What a beautiful quilt top. I noticed you are starting the Hometown quilt by Tilda. I look forward to seeing that come together. That blue fabric you have picked out for the Maggie Maguire quilt is luscious. Is that an old one or is it still available?
    Oh, and I would gladly take your Christmas tree quilt off your hands if you decided you don't like it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your projects are stunning - each and every one. The zoo cute is going to be a delight! The red 9 patches just blows me away how something simple combined with a gorgeous border turns out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful red and white quilt, well done on the finish. Lots of beautiful applique happening at yours! The Maggie Maguires Garden is a beautiful quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your red and cream quilt is gorgeous. And I love those borders. This will look stunning where-ever it is displayed.
    Enjoy your trees and your new project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow the red quilt is stunning and getting to start a new project with everything finished is not a feeling I get as I have too many things on the go.........but I cannot wait to see what you make for yourself........very kind of you t make the centre of that other quilt for your friend.........

    ReplyDelete
  11. That fussy cut hexie - oh man - love it. I love the entire quilt. IT is a stunner for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thursday happiness

 It's a lovely Anzac day holiday today and I am hoping to get some time to prep some blocks for my Blooms quilt as I have run out of pre...