Saturday 4 May 2024

May is for quilting

 The recent drop in temperatures have inspired me to do some hand quilting. The fact that I can't focus on what project to work on has no impact on my choice at all lol.

I have two quilts  that I got basted a while ago and this is the first one that I pulled out of the tub. When I first started patchworking I hand quilted most of my quilts as it was a matter of finances. I probably had more patience and arm strength to do it too. 

There is something so appealing about scrappy quilts and as I am quilting I am revisiting some of the lovely fabrics used -both mine and some gifted by sewing friends. 




It's quite relaxing and so far I've done 22 out of 112 nine patch blocks. I don't know how I will quilt the borders but thankfully I won't have to worry about it for a while. I know I will probably be over it by then and go for simplicity but you never know......plenty of time. The great thing about hand quilting is the softness it gives the quilt, that lovely snuggle factor.

It will make for some boring blogging but hoping it will be done by the end of May!


Happy days


Marina 

6 comments:

  1. You cant beat some lovely hand quilting - and some nice warmth around your legs on a chilly night. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful quilt. You and I shall be boring bloggers together lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt, one like that as well as some hand quilting is on my To Do list... I do love the feel of a hand quilted quilt...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect project for the cooler times.........and it sure is a beautiful quilt.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is a stunning inspiration to me. I love scrappy anyway, but now I truly want to make one. The applique' border really finishes it off as well. Hand quilted will make it a true treasure.

    ReplyDelete

finish with a purpose

 There's no greater feeling than finding a recipient for one of your projects. A dear friend has a big '0' birthday and I asked ...