Friday 8 October 2021

Quilting done!

 In the evenings I have been solely dedicating time to hand quilting my clamshells quilt and it's paid off with a big tick on the long term UFO list.

I really love this quilt. It started with a fun sewing class with Irene Blanck with the city girls. The clamshells were cut out and packed in my bags to take on our European holiday. I managed to baste all those I'd prepped and started sewing them together. A most enjoyable quilt from start to finish with lots of different fabrics with some gifted from lovely crafty friends.

Very happy to have it done. As I am not very good with labels on my quilts I thought I would take a leaf out of Michelle's book and use a doily as a label. I'm hoping she won't mind me using her idea.

I feel too lazy to stitch the details of the quilt on the doily so have managed by just using permanent pen. It feels like an 'it'll do effort' but it is what it is I want it done so I can move onto a project for a friend who has asked me to applique the borders on her quilt.

The cottons arrived at the start of the week so it's all systems go now that the clamshells are done. I'll share some pics once I start.



I was so excited about using one of my Op shop doily finds that I pulled out a couple more to prep the labels for Okehampton and Mary Brown. These will soon go to two of my favourite Nieces-once I finish the labels.


I think this is how I will make labels for my quilts from now on. I always feel a little twinge when I see them in op shops now they will have a purpose and mine won't end up unloved and unwanted there either! So thankyou Michelle for the idea.

Happy Days.

Marina


11 comments:

  1. Pretty Scrappy Clamshells and nice to have a finish…
    The doilies make fantastic labels…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the quilting finish Marina, it looks wonderful and the label is perfect. Sounds like there are many haply memories in that quilt. Using the doilies is a great idea for labels on your other quilts. My clamshell, quilt came from doing an Irene Blanck class too 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your finish. You should rightfully feel pleased to have it finished and the doily is a perfect way to finish it off. They are very pretty way to make a label and, as you say, a good way to use vintage doileys. I used a pretty hankie to label on the quilt I gave Mum a couple of years ago. That worked well too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your labels, they are a great idea. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your finish..... It's a pretty quilt .... And in my eyes any label is better then no label.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gorgeous Clamshells makes me want to do another. Doileys are juat lovely as a label....go for it I say xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a wonderful finish on your clam shells. It is a delightful quilt. And well done with the label, too. That works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to have those clamshells finished - such a pretty quilt. Great use for the doillies - you are right, they always look unloved. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous quilt... really lovely. I am a bit naughty about labels. The doilies are perfect for them...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilting , the label looks wonderful what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

nearly all done

Holidays are over sadly but it's been a great week for labels and binding with some finishes to tick off the list. Basket case is a big ...