Tuesday 9 July 2019

something new, something to get back to..

Well where has the last week gone. 
My days have been spent happily going for walks with Billy and Poppy and getting some sewing time too.
Mary Brown and I still have been spending time together and the first framing border is on and I have started one side of the outer border. Planning and measuring are not really my strengths, I sort of have an idea in my head and thankfully it usually transfers to my project. I am going to have to mitre the outer border to match up the sawtooth border. A logistical nightmare for my non mathematical brain. Thankfully mum came over and jiggled some figures and clarified how I need to proceed with the borders. Today I cut and measured a paper 'dummy'of the border to make sure I don't make mistakes. I'm sure I will but it won't be anything that can't be fixed.
Here's a little snapshot of how it will look..
I'm pretty happy with it so far.



I received my new project pattern in the mail last week and I am chomping at the bit to start it. As a little reward to myself for all that measuring and planning I decided it would be good to start tracing and cutting the freezer paper templates. I have some lovely fabric that I will use for the backgrounds. These blocks are big-measuring 16 1/2 inches square. The pieces are nice and big too. 
I'll use my reproductions stash and by the time I've finished this and Okehampton it will hopefully have reduced considerably....famous last words!
Well here it is..

Speaking of Okehampton, some progress is very overdue. 
first a reminder what this quilt looks like...

I'm up to the clamshell borders and  I seem to have stalled a little. Seeing some other clamshell projects happening in blogland I am feeling very guilty but a very inspired to get back to it.
I have a box full of clamshells, mostly basted and two rows basted ready to stitch for the first border.
So I need to fire up string bean!


The winter weather is being quite kind and I hope it continues to be.
Sewing catch up this week with some lovely ladies to look forward to and some extra holidays too to make me happy.
Hope there is lots of happiness heading your way too

cheers
Marina

12 comments:

  1. Are you doing prairie points on the binding. This looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is so beautiful! I admire all the hand work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The borders on Mary Brown are looking great. Sew nice to have Mum to help.
    Your new projects is lovely and far too challenging for me...
    Really like the colour of the fabrics in Okehampton....
    Enjoy your sewing time and holidays....

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the border planned... I have never done a mitred corner - best wishes on that.... great new project and just perfect for you.... Happy clamming! and a pat for Billy and Poppy from me
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how the border looks on Mary Brown. Love the new pattern. It will be a beautiful quilt. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marina I always love seeing your beautiful work,enjoy your extra holidays xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Brown is looking amazing, nice to hear your Mum has been over to help with the maths. Your new project is beautiful Marina, so bummed not being able to come to the catch up 😭😭, but I don't want to share my bugs. Love the clamshells, fire up there!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing your project coming together. Maths aren't my strong point either. Your new project is beautiful! Enjoy getting back into those clamshells lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh! Sawtooth border looking great. I LOVE your new project, gorgeous and thanks for the reminder of Okehampton, such a great combination of techniques. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much beauty happening in your sewing room. I love the clamshells border! And your new pattern is gorgeous, as is your background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful projects Marina - I love your new Laundry Basket one, I've admired that often so will enjoy watching you do yours. The sawtooth border is going to look great on Mary Brown and I'm sure you'll get it sussed. Yes, there's a few inspiring clamshell projects around at the moment - hopefully they can give you the wee push you need :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The red and green pineapple block is an interesting design. I like!

    ReplyDelete

nearly all done

Holidays are over sadly but it's been a great week for labels and binding with some finishes to tick off the list. Basket case is a big ...