Tuesday 16 July 2019

playing with scraps

Holidays provide the luxury of spending idle time in my sewing room and I have really been enjoying just dawdling and getting distracted by bits and bobs.
Yesterday I decided it was time to minimise my scrap baskets and iron and sort larger pieces and try to utilize smaller ones. Gradually I have been trying to cut up small scrap pieces into 1 1/2"and 2"squares so added a little to these but had a great idea to try appliqueing small hearts.
I made two tops to donate to the victims and first responders of the New Zealand tragedy and I enjoyed sewing the hearts so what better than downsizing them and making little hearts. Another mini on the way?
 

It started out as only prepping some hearts to have at the ready, then progressed to having a little go to see if it would be too fiddly or not,then  to getting carried away last night and sewing little hearts till my hearts content!



In for a penny, in for a pound as they say! I just can't help myself.
The hearts will use my 2" scrap blocks and the backgrounds are 2 1/2" and are from odd pieces of backgrounds that I have plenty of as I can't seem to throw them away.
Now aren't they cute? you can hardly blame me for getting carried away?
In my defence I did prep another saw tooth border for Mary Brown ready for applique and also a row of clamshells are ready to sew onto the border piece before losing myself to these hearts.

In the mail yesterday I received a gorgeous little parcel of loveliness from wonderful Michelle.
I had sent some of my stash pieces to contribute to her clamshells and her heart blocks for her grand daughters. I got to reduce my stash (minimally) and it added variety to her projects. Winning all round. As a thankyou she sent me this very cute milk jug doily and beautiful shirting piece.
I love milk jug doilies and this will add beautifully to my collection.
the little cup and saucer is so tiny, about the size of a thimble!


14 comments:

  1. Those little hearts are adorable! I can see how you get carried away. The little teacup and doily are wonderful.... lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful... & so thoughtful of Michelle.
    LoVe those cute little "hearts" too...xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my golly gosh.. .those hearts are just adorable.... its going to be gorgeous....
    Lovely giftie from Michelle.... perfect for you...

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those milk jug covers are so sweet. I hav eone my mum made. She used to make them to sell and for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice you are enjoying your holidays and playing with your scraps...
    The small scraps have made sweet little heart blocks...
    A beautiful thoughtful gift from Michelle...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice you are enjoying your holidays and playing with your scraps...
    The small scraps have made sweet little heart blocks...
    A beautiful thoughtful gift from Michelle...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute little hearts, oh so sweet and lovely gifts from Michelle. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little hearts are so sweet! A great idea for using up such lovely scraps. I love your milk jug doily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful hearts, I am not surprised you wanted to work on them. A great way to use up your scraps too. Beautiful gift from Michelle, that tea cup is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am back catching up on posts. It looks like you have made the most of the holidays and been quite productive. The hearts are a lovely way to use up special pieces of fabrics.
    Michelle's gift is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of a milk jug doily. It is unique and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't realise the hearts were so small! Lovely goodies from Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Marina....thanks for visiting and commenting on both my blog posts.I appreciate your view on replying to comments but I can't actually find them in my email inbox or junk box....don't know why! Now to you...so glad to reconnect with you and just love the little hearts....they are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Time is flying....

 Seems like my blog has become a little neglected again, this doesn't mean a lack of crafting though. Progress has been achieved on most...