Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Something blue....


Last Thursday my Christmas snow globe top was dropped off at Jemima's for quilting. A pretty Lori Holt backing with holly and a teal colour theme to match the front was selected and a great all over quilting design of baubles on a string. They both will work perfectly.

While there I thought I'd pick Veronica's brain for some advise on backgrounds for the ginger jars. She has a great eye for fabric and I've been going there so long she knows my style and she always is such a pro at quilt maths. 

I wanted something a little more in my zone even though I love the Tilda background fabrics in the pattern.  I ended up with a lovely light cream fabric with a stripe, tone on tone. I love it and can't wait to start. while working out the freezer paper for the applique I realised I don't think I want my quilt to be as big as the pattern and it just seems like I am working with giant pieces so I thought I'd shrink it a little to 80%. I feel much happier with the pieces this size.  It's like when you knit most things in 8ply and you then decide to knit in a 14ply. It may not sit right so I've made another adjustment.

Adjustments so far:

  • applique jars instead of piecing
  • possibly use a variety of ginger jar shapes in the blocks
  • reduce size to 80%
  • use a different background style.


Saturday afternoon we were invited to dinner at No2 son's house so not needing to cook dinner it was a great opportunity to have a sew. My Kim Diehl project has stalled a little with the pieced blocks but I had two cut out ready so off I went. Well after some sewing, unsewing, recutting due to directional fabric I finally managed one block. I was confident I'd manage the two but it wasn't to be. Managed the last of these blocks on Sunday. Of course it wasn't without drama. The next set of four blocks is just as challenging as far as I'm concerned. All the pieces are sorted for when I feel like taking them on.


thought it might be a good time to revisit my Works in Progress list....


 Works progressed:

  • Simple Sampler- pieced blocks to be done. 4 down 9 to go an extra one done!
  • Snow globes/stitcheries- 1 block done, two more stitcheries completed and blocks ready to prep.  Top done and at quilters 

Ready to start.

Tilda Ginger jars

Slow works in progress

Tilda cushion applique designs- free patterns to be made into small quilts. Two done, two more to do - no progress

Mini hearts- two new rows done, one needs to be added to the main body.




Here is my latest Hellebore. this is the third year without seeing flowers ... I swore if I didn't get a flower this year it was see ya later. Well she must have been listening. One stem of flowers and it will be enough to  save it's skin.


Happy sewing!
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something blue....

Last Thursday my Christmas snow globe top was dropped off at Jemima's for quilting. A pretty Lori Holt backing with holly and a teal col...