Friday 29 July 2022

plodding along

My favourite things blocks are gradually increasing.....
These are the latest blocks I have completed as of a few weeks ago.  The most recent blocks have all been prepped ready to go as have some blocks for two other Red Boots Quilts patterns that I have on the wish list.
Instead of just starting something new I am enjoying prepping something new for when I will want to start them. Only problem is that is how I started the my favourite things blocks.... lol  I had heaps prepped and couldn't resist starting.



I have a list of my works in progress and soon will have one to tick off......

No 3
This comes with a bit of history. A work colleague who took up patchwork after seeing some of my quilts made this gorgeous sew along quilt by Laundry Basket quilts. She is a gun at piecing but hasn't taken to applique. I offered to do the applique borders for her. Who wouldn't love to work with those beautiful blues I ask?
The kit came with glued laser cut pieces that you stick and iron on to the border. Didn't come with a guide for the applique just need to look at the pattern picture. I did my best but the iron on pieces were horrendous to work with. Gumming up the needle and very hard on the fingers. I had done one side and put off continuing as I couldn't bare the  thought of finishing. After a while I got the idea to ask for any scraps from the piecing and to ask if she didn't mind me needle turning instead of the glued pieces.
She gave me the all clear so I got to pulling all the pieces off and unpicking the blanket stitch applique. It was quite a job but I could see the light ahead.
Two borders are complete and now I'm working on this solidly to get it finished for her.
I have sewn the vine on both remaining sides and also the large berries on both.
Now to the leaves!
It didn't come with a deadline but I don't like to dally on others projects. Mind you she has finished another five tops since giving me this one.
Hoping a finish to share soon then it will be back to my list of projects....
Which one to work on?


 Happy days


Marina



7 comments:

  1. Your new blocks are looking great. Thank goodness there were enough scraps to work with on the blue and white! Needleturn always looks so much nicer than bonded and that border is looking gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re doing really well with those Favourite Things blocks….
    Oh that’s a big list to work on…
    Loving the needle turn on your friends Laundry Basket quilt. You wouldn’t like to do another ?? 🤔. Maria Lifeontheblock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marina - your appliqued borders are lovely - needle turn was certainly the way to go. It takes longer but is undoubtedly worth the effort. I'm sure your friend with be absolutely delighted with your work and the perfect look for her top! BTW - what a great friend to do so much hand work for another's quilt top - you are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little train is adorable. Such a shame you had issues with the applique, I have used the Laundry basket applique pieces with no problems. Maybe it was a bad batch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It made me laugh that once you start prepping you keep sewing instead of keeping it for another day.... I'm a bit like that with 'leaders and enders".... Kims top is so pretty and the needleturn is a perfect edging. You have quite a list there...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blocks are looking great. This is going to be such a fun quilt and very colourful.
    And well done with all the work on the applique borders. That is a big task to take on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no many WIP Myself and I need to have a serious talk lol! Your friends quilt is beautiful in those blues and the needleturn will be the icing on the cake.....well worth the angst xx

    ReplyDelete

What is new....

 Now that a few projects have been completed and delegated to different quilters I can share my new projects. It was not easy finding the in...