Tuesday 14 January 2014

catching the inspiration lightning bolt

A wonderful boiling hot day in Melbourne today. (please note my sarcasm) The mercury hit 44 degrees, I am so close to packing up and running away to Tasmania! It is a killer and more forecast for the rest of the week.
Liz, Rosalie and I had planned a get together day for some weeks and we didn't want the weather to dampen our enthusiasm. Our destination: Gail B's patchwork shop.
Now on my more recent girly trip I had a project in the back of my mind but wasn't inspired to buy any fabrics from Threadbare even though there was so much gorgeous temptation in that shop. I think I walked around it at least four times just staring at the fabrics, so much gorgeousness but none came home with me.
Well today I had that inspiration bolt moment!
Gail's is an amazing shop and you could get lost in it for ages.
This is the project that has been lingering in the back of my mind for over a year..

I love how our American counterparts decorate their home with patriotic quilting loveliness and thought it was about time I should make something for Australia Day too. I love this country and feel so happy to live in a wonderful land of opportunity.
The idea just lingered and lingered, I seem to have left my run a bit late but simplified this could get done by Australia day!
I could picture how I wanted to make this quilt in my head and just needed to see the right fabrics for it to start to become a reality.
These are the fabrics that 'jumped out' at me today....
Yes they are Batiks.... anyone who knows my tastes in fabrics knows that they are not high on my preference list but today they just seemed like the most perfect fabrics for this project.
The roll will be for the flag and the separate red, white and blue will be for the Union Jack.
What do you think?
I also brought home these two gorgeous fat 1/4's


this past week I have been concentrating on my stitcheries.
There has been some progress..


Now these will have to take a back seat for a bit as there is a flag to sew or it won't be ready for Australia Day!
Happy days!

Marina

20 comments:

  1. So different for you Marina, but I think it will work really well. A lot like those Uion Jack quilts and cushions that have been around. I do love the other two fabrics, I've been waiting to see them in store myself! Your stitching is inspirational, just beautiful. Keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i think those fabrics will be perfect Marina,and love your stitcheries ,this will keep you out of mischief for a while,lol.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you lucky girls...loved Gail's! Great fabric choices. Your stitcheries are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered what that flash of light was! Your flag is going to be great in that fabric ... Those gorgeous stitcheries will be waiting!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marina my DH would love me to make that quilt for him. Can you please tell me the No and Vol of the Home Spun mag...I will see if I can get it...
    Your fabric choice is great....
    Nice stitchery too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing you quilt Marina. I tried to talk the boys into a sidet trip to Gail's yesterday (we were at Eastland doing the dreaded back to school shoe and stationery shop) but they wouldn't have a bar of it! How rude! LOL! Your stitcheries are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes these fabrics are so different for you and that is great. Once upon a time I would NEVER even look at Batiks. I hated them with a passion but now I do enjoy playing with them. I am really looking forward to seeing your new creation come to life. Enjoy the project. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have somewhere cool for all that activity!
    Nice fabrics for your celebration quilt.
    Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehehe...I absolutely love batiks and love working with them...your quilt is going to be so lovely when you get it finished...love those fq's you brought home as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have made a lovely choice with the fabrics for your quilt. It's a great idea.
    A trip to Gail Bs is never disappointing.
    I am trying to stay inside out of this heat but will have to venture out some time this week.
    I feel very sorry for the tennis players in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always good to try something new Marina - the flag will look wnderful. Love your stitcheries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those fabrics are going to look great and despite the temperature, it was a great day yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the batiks Marina....keen to see this project and how you adapt it! Nothing like a dead line to get you working huh!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so want to do a Union Jack quilt, maybe 2016 lol. Can't wait to see yours finished, I think the batiks will be perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so want to do a Union Jack quilt, maybe 2016 lol. Can't wait to see yours finished, I think the batiks will be perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes we did have a great day Marina, should happen more often, great fabric choice, and gorgeous stitcheries.
    Hugs R.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes we did have a great day Marina, should happen more often, great fabric choice, and gorgeous stitcheries.
    Hugs R.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think I would be able to buy a thing in 44 temperatures. I would be wilting and moaning! You made some great purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like the blue thread in you sweet stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it!! Now if I can find that Homespun I could adapt it to be a New Zealand flag. I wonder if I could get it done in time for Waitangi Day - ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Time is flying....

 Seems like my blog has become a little neglected again, this doesn't mean a lack of crafting though. Progress has been achieved on most...