Sunday 11 March 2018

quilting progress and goodies

I feel I have reached a milestone step on my quilting with the centre block completely quilted.
I was a little worried it was 'over quilted' but I am quite happy with it, either that or I can unpick and start again? Not happening!!
I have made a start on the larger border around the main block and the quilting won't be as intense so it should move along a little quicker and each block will hopefully inspire some quilting designs as I go.



 the book looks quite pretty too.... at least the bigger stitches are not too higgledy piggledy.
Crochet cotten and bigger stitches are very forgiving!


Last week when I was looking for inspiration...... unsuccessfully mind you, I did go online looking and found some lovely fabrics that will suit for backgrounds. How satisfying is a little retail therapy? lol

 The colours are truer in this pic below....I am gathering quite a lovely stash of possible background fabrics.... I have also narrowed down a few possible things to make..... more of that once I make a start.  I'm itching to do some needleturn....even contemplated picking up the Caswell pattern again! Crazy!! but I did enjoy it so much.

Today after taking Billy for a swim and getting some househole drudgery out of the way I retreated to the sewing room and decided it was time to settle on a background for Okehampton. I had wanted to use a beautiful spotty fabric but I always had doubts so I went with safe instead.
I sewed the centre star shape down and got the hexie flowers ready to sew down.  it feels good to be progressing on this quilt


 I also cut the borders that will go around the block. I will have to mitre the corners which will be a challenge and I want it flow around the block so wish me luck with that!


Public holiday tomorrow and I'm hoping to pop into the sewing room for a short time at the very least.
We have visitors for lunch so hoping to get in there later in the afternoon.
Hope your weekend is going well.

Cheers
Marina

17 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day off. I'll be working away. I've had a great weekend of sewing and would love doing it for another day.. anyway, happy sewing day for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marina I'm sure your mitre corners will turn out beautifully, just like your other sewing & stitching always does!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of quilty goodness! The quilting is beautiful and I love the backing fabric. Okehampton is incredible... love the colors!! I like your new fabrics; I had a little retail therapy yesterday online, too. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting is coming along beautifully Marina as is Okehampton. And yes, it's amazing what a lift a little retail therapy can provide - beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilting Marina - your quilting gives it such a lovely texture. Nice collection of backgrounds too - I love to collect them as well, good to have some choice for a project and always amazing how many different shades there are! Wishing you luck for the mitred corners - Okehampton is looking gorgeous! Have fun on your extra day off :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you certainly do lovely work.... the quilting looks fantastic and makes your applique pop out so well..... hand quilting is so soft Im not sure you can over quilt? Lovely work on Okehampton too..... you are very patient...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Okehampton looks sensational Marina!! I am sure you will fly through the mitred corners no worries. Your quilting is looking wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the quilting on the centre block works well. It is sitting nicely and will b the focus since it is in the centre. You want it to look special.
    Lovely progress on the applique, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always awed by handquilting - it looks so lovely, as does your new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just blow me away...absolutely amazing ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okehampton is looking gorgeous and I love the way that you have quilted your Friendship block. Enjoy your holiday day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilting! Love love love all those gorgeous background fabrics! Okehampton is looking wonderful too xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you had a great day off and got some sewing done.
    Great quilting on your centre block.
    Lovely background fabrics.
    Okehampton is beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maria ,wow i love this block your quilt is going to be gorgeous,love your fabrics xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your applique piece with the tea pot is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Time is flying....

 Seems like my blog has become a little neglected again, this doesn't mean a lack of crafting though. Progress has been achieved on most...