Tuesday 13 February 2018

At last....

Procrastination seems to be the order of the day lately.
I have been delaying starting the quilting of my gossip in the garden top as I couldn't get past working out how to piece the backing. I thought I would have enough to back two quilts but after getting some calculation work done by mum, it wasn't going to happen unless Jesus appeared and worked a miracle with the backing fabric like he did with the loaves and fishes! Turns out there is only enough to back this one so, a little cutting here and some sewing there and the back was pieced ready to go.
It was no easy task as I wanted it to be sandwiched perfectly.
After crawling around on the floor for hours and some great yoga moves the top was basted!


 
this meant that Sunday I could start my quilting adventure...
I am going to just see where each block takes me and quilt it without too much stress.
I started with the central block using crochet cotton so that I can make the stitches a little bigger. I think my days of tiny neat stitches are gone so I am embracing a more forgiving way of quilting.
Slowly working away at filling the spaces.....


I had a little impulse buying last week.... courtesy of Mrs Martins quilt shop.
This year I'd like to get back to making gifts and smaller projects. My big projects are Okehampton and quilting my Gossip top and I will need to stay focused and not get tempted by any new projects..... Famous last words?


Now which project to start first?

Have a great week

Marina



16 comments:

  1. The quilt is so pretty! Enjoy quilting it! ( I can't make tiny stitches any longer ... I used to make pretty stitches... what is up with that???) Sweet patterns, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got you backing worked out so you could start quilting your beautiful quilt. Love those patterns. Good luck with not being tempted by any new projects. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking lovely Marina. Great loot there as well xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any of that "focus" to share. Needing some here.
    Looking forward to seeing the quilting progress.
    I vote for the Honey Hive project. Gifts you said?
    Would it be finished by mid year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Live the quilt ,enjoy the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear you have the backing worked out ok, sometimes it just takes longer with some projects. Good to hear you have the yoga moves to get the basting done 🙃🙃 your quult looks beautiful. New projects...I think are a challenge for us all!! Your new projects look very interesting, have fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh I do admire you basting on the floor - I just wouldnt manage but a good basting is worth it.... and the quilt will be just gorgeous hand quilted....
    Lovely new little projects to do... it's important to have variety
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting to be onto the quilting of this quilt!! Already I can see how lovely it's going to be. Love your new patterns too - that's what I need to do, just focus on a 'few' big projects and start small ones....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is looking beautiful and I am sure your quilting will be lovely. I rather like the hand quilted look and often use Perle thread 8. Yummy patterns you have bought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all look like gorgeous projects to me - difficult choice! Love your gossip. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to see the quilting has started. It is a gorgeous quilt.
    Some interesting purchases there, too. Lovely selection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gossip is going to be beautiful, I can see that already with the beginnings of your quilting Marina... and yes, they're words uttered by many a sewist/quilter, but never actually adhered to!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your quilting.. kudos to you in all aspects( I no longer crawl on the floor ... too hard to get back up) The new projects look like fun. Good luck choosing.

    ReplyDelete

Time is flying....

 Seems like my blog has become a little neglected again, this doesn't mean a lack of crafting though. Progress has been achieved on most...