Thursday 16 July 2015

a finish and a start

The Holidays are over and we are off and running again.
It was applique class this week and I was excited to get going on the new block and catching up with the others to see their lovely colour combinations.
I only just finished my fourth block in time to start the fifth.
block four
block five marked out and ready to go.

there was one big finish for the holidays too.... with the cold weather on the weekend I spent most of the time finishing of my Park Avenue hexie quilt and hooray it all got done. The binding went on Sunday night and it is ready to go. It will be a bed runner for our bed.
I'm even game to show some of the quilting from the reverse side..
 I'm so happy with this finished.
Some stats..... I started this quilt in 2010.(along with quite a few large projects)
The hexies all put together by the end of 2012,  Borders appliqued and sewn on to hexie top in May 2013.
October 2013 it was basted ready for handquilting. Started handquilting in April 2014. Completed July 2015

the gaps in the lattice quilting are where the wool appliqued pieces are.
now for the something new......
I thought seeing as this was a big finish I could indulge a big start.
A trip to Castlemaine last week saw some beautiful fabrics for the background of my new project.
I am going to try this quilt from Irene's new book. My plan is to use only my blue stash of reproduction fabrics.
I am so excited that I have cut out the freezer papers for the first block.
Is anyone else planning on making a quilt from this book? Would love to have some company...

Needing to give my quilting hand a rest so I am spending some time with an old faithful friend.
Being a big fan of the films you can forget a lot of the beautiful detail that is in the book. So many things that were left out. I know they can't include everything and I do love the movies but I think I love the book more.
It's enjoyable to just spend time between the pages and take it all in.

A favourite quote from the part I am reading now is...
' .... Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.......'


Hope those that are enjoying the icy weather we are having are keeping warm!
cheers for now
Marina


25 comments:

  1. Hello Marina,

    Your blocks are so lovely and neat. Congratulations on your hexie finish, the hand stitching was all worth it. I agree books are sometimes so much better than the movie. I watched "Still Alice" on DVD today, read the book a few years back and we didn't like how the movie ended at all.

    Stay warm
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marina your bed runner is stunning,well done on your beautiful finish,your new pattern looks lovely too,enjoy your evening my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely finish. You deserve a new start project

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the Hexie quilt! Can we please see a picture of the entire thing? I've been motivated recently to get back to work on mine, and I'm looking for ideas to finish it once all the hexies are sewed together. I love making the 'flowers' but not so much the attaching of them all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gourgius applice block, and the new one you will make, what a lot of applice work.
    Good luck with it.

    The temp here in the Netherlands are very warm, tomorrow we will have 29 degrees. Pfffffff
    So I will send you some warm weather. 😜😜😜😜😜😜

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your finish is beautiful. Don't you just love looking at quilting stitches on the back? I think I'm using the same backing on Irish Circles, it's such a nice red. Your new project looks wonderful, many happy hours of appliquΓ© there. Are they blocks or appliqued onto one large piece?
    Enjoying the cold weather very much, even had some snowflakes falling this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely block. Love your Park Avenue hexie quilt. Just gorgeous. Beautiful quilt in Irene's book. So tempted to get the book but have been resisting. :) Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Baltimore Blocks Marina, you are going so well!! Well done on the finish of your Park Ave hexie quilt...it looks amazing!! Love Lord of the Rings too and the Hobbit ......can't help with your new amazing project, maybe Marg or Tracee or Elyte?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilting.. well done. That quote also was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hand quilting is lovely and the bed runner has turned out so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your applique is so neat.
    Congrats on your big finish ... gorgeous quilt and it's nice to read the journey.
    Not enjoying the icy weather! :(
    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful sewing, Marina. You really are a star.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous finish Marina - just so beautiful. And love block 4 of your applique quilt. Enjoy Irene's book and project - she is very inspirational and now I am a convert to needleturn I must buy her book

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely work on the block. I enjoy seeing each of these finished.
    And well done on the finish with Park Avenue. That is an amazing amount of work and the end result is great. An amazing finish.
    Good luck with your next big project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved seeing your beautiful hexie quilt. Your new project looks amazing. Your applique work is lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finishing and starting just go hand in hand!
    Love all your projects. Those blocks are exquisite.
    Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely applique as always Marina but your hexie quilt is so beautiful. I love the combination of hexies and applique. Absolutely gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very pretty! Your quilting shows just beautiful on the back :0) A new project - Yahoo!! Enjoy - it looks like an exciting one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your hand quilting, stitches are so neat and even.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blocks are looking great, Marina. What a wonderful finish. Have fun with your new big start. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your gorgeous finish Marina... EPP projects have a habit of being super-duper long to make!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your applique is so beautiful...liking the muted greens in your block too...Congrats on the Park Avenue finish, go on show a pic of the whole quilt with the binding on...have fun with your new project, will look fab in blues I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Park Avenue is just stunning and your quilting is perfect.... just lovely .... your new blocks are looking great too so that will be another wonderful quilt and I love the new one you are starting... you do choose challenging quilts!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Park Avenue hexies looks beautiful and congratulations on the finish. Your appliquΓ© is coming along very well and your motivations still sounds strong. I would love to join you on an "Irene" project but really need to concentrate on several of my ufo's at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How wonderful to be able to finish projects on school holidays! I'd love to see Tribute to Lucy Kemper done in blues!

    Your new SIL

    Irene

    ReplyDelete

What is new....

 Now that a few projects have been completed and delegated to different quilters I can share my new projects. It was not easy finding the in...