Saturday 21 March 2015

march ufos

This month my ufo tasks is to finish off some stitcheries.
finishing off meant making something new from a ufo.
I pulled out this gorgeous Stitchery (it is a design by Kaaren from the Painted quilt)
all the red and white strips were cut just waiting to get sewn up.
I stitched them a few years ago as I just love Raggedys. Kaaren had a free quilt pattern with lots of very sweet Raggedy stitcheries. Only ever got this one done.
Now I will have a new mini!



Mum and I had our first applique class this week at Jemima's, our local patchwork shop.
Mum wanted to learn a modern way of applique using stabiliser and I wanted to learn the traditional applique method. We are making a Baltimore block each month for 9 months. A lot of the time I just have a go at something with snippets of information. I wanted to learn needleturn from someone else to show me the correct way, it is going to make my applique easier and more precise. My sweet william blocks have been appliqued using the stabiliser method but I may be a convert to traditional. Either way it is going to be a bit easier with my new knowledge.
I wanted to make mum a block keeper as the blocks are 14" cut so a bit big for my pastry box. I will make myself one too eventually but made mum's in time for our first lesson. (the pattern is from a tutorial by Teresa -all things vintage, also some tips from Annie)
Also used up a ufo stitchery and left over hexie flower.....bonus!


Now would you like to see my baltimore block progress?
there are a few more leaves to go then it's onto buds and stems. They aren't all perfect but I am happy with their little bits of individuality. I will snap a pic of mum's progress too.
The rate we are going we will keep up and have our block done by next month's class. We are such over achievers!
I am hoping to get some more done over the weekend. Lots of domestic duties today, so need to catch up and tomorrow I am off for a doggy day out with Coffee. The curly club has a training day. I used to love these days out but haven't gone for awhile now so am looking forward to a day out with the curly boy tomorrow. Must remember to give him a bath today so he isn't so smelly in the car lol
Add that to the list!
Hope you have a great weekend
marina
little p.s.
mum popped around this afternoon and she has completed her block! What an over achiever!
Love how it has turned out. It was hard to get a good pic but this one shows the lovely fabrics (and the fuzzy shadow of my hand)
I better get a wriggle on........looks like I am behind lol

21 comments:

  1. I love your block keeper. Must find that tutorial as I like the ones that roll up. I see some hexies too. Your applique is coming along nicely. I usually do the blanket stitch applique using fusible webbing but have done some needleturn. I want to do more needleturn. They say practice make perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute stitcheries. Love your needle turn. Enjoy your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Marina,

    I love that you and your Mum are learning something together, you will enjoy it more and the plus is you have someone to help remember how to do things. Have fun with the dogs. That is cute Butterfly fabric.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marina, you work is BEAUTIFUL!! Love your Raggedy Ann block - lovely setting for the stitchery and the block roll is a gorgeous gift too. I hope you can conquer the needleturn - it sounds like your classes will be invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing classes with your Mum sounds wonderful! Hope it helps keep Sweet William in line!! Love the block keeper!! And the mini! Hope you had a good day at the Curly Club!! No smelly dogs in the car I hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how cute is that Raggedy Mini....Love it.
    you are sew lucky to be able to go to sewing classes with your Mum.
    Your progress looks great and Mum's block is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your Raggedy Ann block. I love that pattern and have it somewhere safe in my sewing room, maybe one day....
    The block roll is very nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to be doing blocks with your Mum.... I am always mixed up with the different ways ... those raggedy's were one of my first stitcheries and quilt that I made and I did a lot of FMQ learning on it too... love the block keeper roll... they work so well and yours in hexagons is gorgeous...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow on both your and mum's blocks. This will be a beautiful quilt and such a great memory to have of the time shared. Love the Raggedys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the two of you enjoy your Baltimore project Marina - looks like your Mum is an amazing stitcher like you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The block keeper was a great idea and you made it more personal with the stitchery and the hexies.
    Loving both of your appliqué blocks. It is going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your little Raggedy stitchery mini Marina. Lovely block folder for your Mum and how gorgeous are both your applique blocks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like youre stitchery, and what a gorgeous fabrics for the stitchery.
    Enjoy al the work you will done with youre mum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great way to use your raggedies.
    And that applique block is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love Raggedys enjoyed your post Marina Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the Raggedys block. I think I might have to search the pattern out and make myself a mini. And the Baltimore quilt is going to be fantastic. What a huge project to bite off, but then you do well with those big hand stitched projects! Please tell your mom that her block is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marina your Raggedy block is gorgeous. This coming from the only person on the planet who has a Raggedy phobia is praise indeed :)
    Love the block keeper bet your mum does too. Must check out that tutorial. Your Baltimore block is looking really good. Hope you've managed to get onto the buds and stems. Mums finished block is beautiful too. Look forward to seeing more blocks from both of you.
    Hugs...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Marina your work is so beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete

Time is flying....

 Seems like my blog has become a little neglected again, this doesn't mean a lack of crafting though. Progress has been achieved on most...