Wednesday 15 January 2014

we're having a heat wave....

another scorching day today.
Thankfully we have air con so we can find refuge from the heat.
Yesterday I'm not sure but maybe I had heat stroke or something because some strange things happened last night.
After dinner I asked mum if she would help me cut out the bits for the union Jack, you all know how hopeless I am with instructions and we had to precision cut as I didn't have the quantity of fabrics as quoted so there was some fancy measuring and adjusting to get the most out of the fat quarters. That's mum's speciality. After she went home I figured I could try some of the foundation piecing. Never done that before but in for a penny, in for a pound they say....
Just slow down and read the instructions, over and over again.....
 Oh my this isn't as hard as I thought it would be, but we'll see if all the pieces come together perfectly, or there will be some major sobbing happening!
 then I thought, I may as well sew the panel that goes next to the Union Jack.....
By this time it was close to midnight but the side piece was done, the four quarters of the Union Jack were done......
then..
this morning I woke up and went straight to the machine and got sewing like a woman possessed....
Yes it all came together !!! Woo hoo... I am so excited and it looks even better than I had imagined it would.

This part is done. I need to get some more fabrics from Gail B's for the border and binding. I wasn't going to make a border but I think a nice border in the cream fabric and a little bit of improvised applique may be in order. Let's hope Gail's comes through and has the extra I need. My hands are itching to get the ideas from my head out onto the fabric. I will have to be patient and wait for them to reply. I hope they realise I have a deadline?
I can't believe how happy I am with how this has come together.
In the meantime I think I will pack up the machine and the bits and bobs and get some houses cut and ready.
Take my mind off the waiting.
Think I might go look for some lightning!

cheers for now
Marina



24 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous the colours are great, well done! I need to make a Union Jack now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic Marina, love the effect of the red fabric. Hope you get to work on your borders soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Marina I can't believe you have got this far so quickly, You and your Mum work wonders together,your quilt looks great, i like your colours so much better than the original.
    Hugs R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow Marina! This looks amazing - I love it! - and you have sewn like a woman possessed to get it done so quickly...
    What a great piece of Aussie, right in your home! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness.... you are like a machine on caffene!! It looks fantastic and well done with that paper piecing..... doesn't it make it so perfect....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a little dynamo!!! Looks great Marina. Stay cool and I wish I could send you a nice cool breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic Marina. I sewed 3 houses today and only gave up when the hands got too sweaty. Please roll on the weekend for some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fantastic, beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW - gorgeous fabrics, gorgeous quilt. Hope it cools down for you very soon.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW this looks fantastic. Well done. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marina your flag is fair dinkum gorgeous Just love it - you little quilting dynamo :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning...I wouldn't say heat stroke..just skill..good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!! That is just fabulous Marina... Your Union Jack I'd perfect.....well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all came together perfectly , it is beautiful ! Very well done , give yourself a pat on the back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good thing that aircon!
    Beautiful work there. Those Batiks are perfect for this.
    Hope they come through with the requirements.
    Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the batiks are perfect fabrics for the flag.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that is beautiful Marina! Well done! Hope the fabric comes through for you!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. this turned out so great Marina! a great celebration quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it. What pattern is it please?

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is no stopping you! So quick. And it looks great. Perfect joins!
    One more hot one to go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great result Marina. Those batiks work brilliantly. Aren't holidays wonderful? You can jump out of bed and keep sewing in your pi's taking a moment here and there to wipe the sleep out of your eyes. You are going to be very ready for Australia Day, a quilt and a lamb roast (weather permitting).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Waauw and that in one day.
    I'm glad you have airco, w

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't believe you have done this so quickly! ♡ it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I. Love. This. Quilt. Top. What a great idea, looking forward to seeing what you've come up with for the borders...

    ReplyDelete

Time is flying....

 Seems like my blog has become a little neglected again, this doesn't mean a lack of crafting though. Progress has been achieved on most...