Tuesday 25 September 2012

a day with the wonderful Dr Seuss

Sunny days, lazy sleep ins, walks, sewing time, time to do what you want.... it doesn't get better than this.
On Sunday my twin great nephews were christened and I thought a little quilt each from my Dr Seuss stash would be perfect. Of course you know what they say about good intentions..... well she had to settle for an iou, quite happily I might add.
With holidays happening I knew I could deliver.
Last night with the Brownlow medal on television it was a perfect opportunity to get the machine out and get the cut squares made up.
A little more time at the machine today and they are done. Now I need a trip to gj's for some wadding and backing and I am cooking with gas!
I also got No 1 son's partially sewn top out and finished adding the last row. It needed something more so we thought some black borders would give that little bit more width. I had seen a Dr Seuss quilt on the net that had added uniform sized circles on black strips going across the quilt and thought this would work on the side borders. I used different size circles and they have come up a treat. Now to applique them all!
Roll the film ...
 they are simple and were quick to sew up, I think the fabric looked better in bigger blocks so you got most of the print. It's all so bright and busy I just love it.
 No 1 Son's quilt. He had suggested I make computer covers for his class room from my stash of dr Seuss, I didn't have the heart or inclination to waste the fabric on that so he settled for a quilt. Much more agreeable to that idea!

 Seeing as the sun was shining I wanted to wash my Quilters Journey quilt. I made this in 2006. The first quilt I made as a block of the month. I spent ages collecting fabrics and as I was a relative beginner some of the piecing was quite a challenge for me too. I absolutely love this quilt and made it just for me. I was a little scared to wash it but as it is out on the couch a lot of the time it does get used and people sit against it a lot. Fear subsided and it washed up a treat and is now drying in the shade.
Here are some more pics just because...
the back,
 my attempt at stipple quilting by hand.

And this just sums it all up!
Happy days!
cheers
marina

22 comments:

  1. I love the Dr Suess fabrics and they have made great quilts - you are right, simple is best with those fabrics. My 2 girls (in their 20s) would love something from the Dr Suess fabric - I think you don't grow out of some of those things!! Your Journey of a Quilter is lovely - and wow - hand quilting stipple, you are very patient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those quilts are fabulous, well worth the wait. The big squares really show off the fabric. Your son's version is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh marina what a beautiful happy post i love the Dr Suess quilt,you are so clever.well done.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are on fire this week! Those baby quilts are adorable and the border circles on No1 son's quilt are brilliant. I see a lot of applique in your future.....
    Luv your Quilters Journey with a passion! The back is as beautiful as the front... pefect quilt label too. I'd have been terrified to wash it if it was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the twins and your son's quilts..Big pieces are great for this gorgeus fabric..
    Pleased your favorite quilt washed up well. Looks fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to start the holidays.
    Love the simplicity of these quilts - Lucky boys!
    Enjoy your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky babies having a special quilt and your quilt is just beautiful no wonder you are so proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness... you are on fire with all that work... I love the twinnies quilts and No 1 son must be pleased with that!!! so great to see more of your quilters journey - you stipple by hand!!! oh my goodness...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the dr Seuss quilts. They are going to look terrific and I am sure they will be loved by two happy little boys.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely Aunt you are. Love the Dr Seuss quilts....all 3. Journey of a Quilter was one of my favs to make as well. Loved every minute of it. Yours is lovely Marina.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute quilts...great idea to put the babies' initials on each quilt...not at all surprised you weren't inclined towards computer covers! the quilt design is so perfect for the Dr Seuss fabrics...

    ReplyDelete
  12. {sigh} I just love your Journey of a Quilter. You guessed it, I have the pattern and fabric. You dod a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your quilts are lovely, and your first BOM looks fantastic and so cosy!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Marina, you are obviously not sleeping in too much. Those little quilts are so bright and happy and will make great gifts for the twins. Lovely photos of contemporary and early works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a lovely fabrics are from dr.Suess. They are great to use in a childquilt.

    wow why have we here in the dutch not such beatifull fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Dr. Seuss quilts are just precious ,they will be so loved by the twins. Absolutely love your quilt and can't believe you took the time to stipple by hand , wow that was brave of you but it looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the quilts look fantastic Marina. I love your son's one with the circles. Your Quilter's Journey is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you're having some very productive sewing time.
    Gotta love a gorgeous quilt hanging on the line :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely quilts on show here. The Dr Seuss quilts are very cute and the Quilters Journey is just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Quilter's Journey is magnificent. Dr Seuss fabrics are so happy and will make wonderful presents for the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have been busy, the Dr Seuss quilts are gorgeous, I love the appliquéd letters and the circles on your son's quilt. So bright and beautiful. Your quilters journey quilt is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure they will be loved!

    Good to look back and see how far you have come!

    ReplyDelete

What is new....

 Now that a few projects have been completed and delegated to different quilters I can share my new projects. It was not easy finding the in...