Thursday 8 April 2010

bringing home treasure...

Yesterday we spent the day clearing out an old shed at my mum's place. It used to be our old cubby house when we were kids but ended up as a depository for old furniture, books, old toys, fabric, you name it, it was in there. Pigeons had been roosting in there too and had damaged a lot of the stuff so there was a lot of 'chucking'.
We found a few treasures and re-sorted and tidied them up so she knows she has them now.
I got to bring home some goodies, always a dangerous thing, but I am sure I will rehouse, recycle or use the things I did bring home.
There some beautiful small balls of crochet cotton.......already started something to do with some of these....
Some crochet hooks... I have quite a good selection of hooks in most sizes but these filled the gaps, I have some extra fine ones spare if anyone would like them. Just email me and let me know.

The final treasure is this beautiful piece of tatting. Mum says it was done by my great grandmother. I have become the keeper of the family doilies as I love them so much and mum thought I should keep it with the others I have. How precious!
My mum's grandmother taught her how to do many hand crafts when she was a child, we know where the gene came from.


There were also some beautifully smocked gowns that mum had made years ago for some porcelain dolls, that just need some finishing off. She was going to throw them away (this is someone who throws nothing away mind you!) I didn't have the heart, it is close to criminal, so I brought them home and washed them and when they are nicely ironed I will put a picture up. They may be a good size to donate to wee care.
Only two more days to go.......So I better make the most of it.
Have a great day.
Cheers
Marina

2 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely treasure there. Can't wait to see what you do with the cottons.
    Enjoy the rest of your break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good clear out as well as finding some special treasures. Hope the rest of your break is good.

    The sun is shining here today! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete

What is new....

 Now that a few projects have been completed and delegated to different quilters I can share my new projects. It was not easy finding the in...